27 April 2018
BATTERSEA POWER STATION APPOINTS BENN ZEMEK AS CFO
27 April 2018
Battersea Power Station Development Company Limited (BPSDC) is pleased to announce
that Benn Zemek, the current Head of Investment Management and Corporate Finance, will
be appointed Chief Financial Officer (CFO) from 1 May.
As previously announced Simon Murphy, Deputy Chief Executive and Chief Financial Officer
of BPSDC has been appointed Chief Executive Officer with effect from 1 May.
Benn has been with the company for five years and is responsible for leading the corporate
finance, capital transaction and investment management activities across the project.
Dato’ Johan Bin Ariffin, Chairman of Battersea Project Holding Company, commented:
“Benn’s deep knowledge of the project as well as his financial acumen make him highly
qualified to take on the CFO role. We are delighted that Benn will be taking up this role and
we look forward to working closely with him in the future.”
Simon Murphy, incoming CEO of BPSDC, said: “Benn and I have forged a strong
partnership over the past five years at Battersea Power Station, which I look forward to
developing further in our new roles as we progress this wonderful project.”
Benn Zemek, incoming CFO of BPSDC, said: “I am honoured to have been asked to
assume the role. I look forward to continuing to work closely with Simon and the team and to
help achieve the company’s goal of delivering one of London’s most eagerly anticipated
Benn is a senior real estate finance and investment specialist with extensive global experience
as an advisor and principal investor across the spectrum of real estate sectors and investment
strategies. Benn joined BPSDC in March 2013, shortly after the site acquisition by the
Malaysian consortium of shareholders and has helped arrange more than £2billion of
development finance for the Battersea Project.
Benn began his career with an international property company focusing on commercial
development and since then has focused on real estate investment management and advisory
services with a number of investment banking and private equity firms within Australia and the
UK, including Macquarie Bank. Benn has been responsible for transaction management,
investment management and capital raising for development and investment assets within the
office, residential and retail sectors. Benn has Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) and Bachelor
of Commerce degrees from the University of Queensland, Australia.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Press Office, Battersea Power Station Development Company
T: +44 (0) 20 7062 1870
About Battersea Power Station:
- Battersea Power Station is one of central London’s largest, most visionary and eagerly anticipated new town centres in which roughly half the development will comprise shops, restaurants and office space. In addition, there will be a six-acrepublic park, a town square and a new tube station (scheduled to be within Zone 1).
- The Battersea Power Station project covers 42 acres and includes 3.5m sq ft of mixed commercial space, together with 4,364 new homes.
- The successful regeneration of Battersea Power Station will create 20,000 new jobs, inject £20bn into the UK economy and create a funding mechanism for the first major tube line extension since the Millennium. A new NHS medical facility is also being built.
- The Battersea Power Station Foundation supports local charities and community projects. Over £3.3m has been awarded since it launched in 2016; on average, £207,000 is granted per month and the largest grant awarded was to Battersea Arts Centre for £305,000.
- Circus West Village is the neighbourhood centre for the first part of the development. It opened to the public in Spring 2017 and since then over 700,000 people have visited to enjoy the ongoing programme of events and the new shops and restaurants.
- Residents started to move in to Circus West early in 2017 and continue to do so.
- The Village Hall, a new performance space, has opened at Circus West Village and a new MBNA Thames Clippers River Bus service commenced on 1 November 2017.
- The Battersea Academy of Skills Excellence (BASE), the development company’s bespoke jobs and training service created for those living locally, was launched in 2016. It is focused on matching people with jobs at Battersea as well as providing training relevant to the job pipeline at the development.
- Battersea Power Station is owned by a consortium of Malaysian investors comprised of Sime Darby Property, S P Setia and the Employees’ Provident Fund.
- Management of the development is being undertaken by the British-based Battersea Power Station Development Company.